Male infertility is mainly caused by lowered sperm count. An improper diet, lack of exercise, stress, smoking and too much alcohol are major contributing factors that are making men less fertile. In this post we will look at how to increase sperm motility* and sperm count with changes to your diet.
Foods that increase sperm count
I have selected 7 foods that I think are more important and easier to implement in a male fertility diet plan. Just pick what is possible and don’t worry about the rest. Even adding one of these will help.
- Raw Oysters have unusually high zinc content. Research has shown that zinc helps boost the quality of sperm in less-than-fertile or even fully fertile males.
- Dark Chocolate is rich in L-arginine HCL. It helps increase semen volume and over time increases sperm count and motility.
- Maca Root is available in powder form. It is not very clear what the active ingredients are. There is evidence that Maca Root helps increase sperm production in men by up to 40%. It also assists sperm mobility which aids conception.
- Asparagus not only make your urine smell but also has an effect on the way your semen tastes. Vitamin C in asparagus helps the body produce more sperm and protects the produced sperm.
- Walnuts are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids in walnuts not only increase sperm count but also assist blood flow to the genitals thereby improving sexual function. A couple of walnuts are all you need to add to your diet every day.
- Pumpkin Seeds contain Phytosterols zinc and magnesium. Together they help increase and balance levels of Testosterone. Phytosterols prevent Testosterone from converting into Dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Pumpkin seeds also contain Omega-3 fatty acids. Together this works well for increase in sperm count.
- Garlic contains Selenium and Allicin. Together they work to improve sperm motility. Garlic does not necessarily assist sperm production but protects the sperm already present.
My solution to increase your sperm motility and sperm count
I have seen a lot of information on “foods that increase sperm count” but not a real solution for someone struggling with this issue. So here is something you can start right away. I recommend that you start by eating 2 to 3 walnuts and a small quantity of pumpkin seeds every day. Also swallow 3 to 5 cloves of raw crushed garlic. It can damage teeth enamel so, garlic should be swallowed not chewed. You can also add quarter of a spoon of turmeric powder to your daily routine. Dissolve turmeric powder in half or full cup of water and drink it.
Watermelon Juice is usually talked about as a male sexual performance booster. A lesser talked about fact is that it contains Citrulline. Arginine is metabolized in the body from Citrulline and it boosts sperm count. So consume a glass or 2 of watermelon juice daily, during summer. Drinking watermelon juice during cold or wet weather can cause joint pain.
Get on a diet lower in fat and high in protein, and stop consuming processed foods. Drink lots of water and eat lots of greens and whole grain. Try to buy organic foods as often as possible.
Last but not the least, spend lots of time in the sun to increase the levels of Vitamin D in the body and get at least 8 hours of sleep.
1 to 3 grams of Maca Root Powder may be taken daily. It is a food and has no side effects. Many studies on the use of Maca have shown an increase in seminal volume, sperm count and sperm motility. Here is a link for Organic Maca root powder >>>
It has taken me a lot of time to research and write this article. Don’t forget to bookmark or even better print it. If you find it useful do help others by sharing it. If you have a question, do leave a comment. Best of luck.
*Sperm Motility is the ability of sperm to move “spontaneously” through the female reproductive tract to successfully reach the egg.